Any taxpayer having to go through a tax audit is likely to be extremely intimidated unless she prepares herself and is able to properly explain her income and validate any expenses and deductions claimed on her tax returns. It is more than likely that the examination of one of the taxpayer’s years may lead to other years of hers being opened for inspection.
For the taxpayer to be able to defend herself, she should have an extensive knowledge of all the tax codes and regulations pertaining to her case. It is always worth keeping in mind that as a taxpayer, she does have certain rights. These rights are underneath the Taxpayer Bill of Rights and they are as follows:
- The taxpayer has every right to have her tax lawyer or an enrolled agent present during her tax audit. The taxpayer does not have to be present at her tax audit interview unless there has been a summons against her stating otherwise.
- The taxpayer can request that her tax audit interview is suspended so that she has time to consult a representative.
- The taxpayer can question why certain information of hers is being requested by the IRS.
- The taxpayer has every right to make an audio recording of her meeting as long as notice is given.
- The IRS can only make one inspection of the taxpayer’s books unless she requests that an examination take place or the IRS gives her a written forewarned notice.
If the taxpayer receives any notice from the IRS stating that she is requested for an audit, she should seek immediate help from professionals. The taxpayer may have already undergone a tax audit that resulted in her paying more taxes, penalties, and interest. If this is the case, there are options open to her. She does not have to pay them off in full; the taxpayer could file for an appeal, ask for audit reconsideration, and/or request for an Offer in Compromise.
If the taxpayer finds herself in a tax audit situation, she should contact us right away. We will provide her with a FREE and confidential consultation. With our dedicated team of experts, we will strive to help her in every way we can. We can negotiate on the taxpayer’s behalf and our tax lawyers and enrolled agents will be there to help her at each step. We will help the taxpayer resolve any tax audit issues she has and help to minimize any liability she may face.
For immediate answers, call us today at 1.888.321.8812. It will be the Best Decision You Make Today!